Thursday, May 19, 2011

Chocolate & Kahlua Coconut Milk Ice Cream


Do you ever just get tired of life sometimes?

Not in a creepy suicidal way or anything - just more that the prospect of waking up tomorrow and doing everything all over again is bordering on painful.

I get like that every once in a while.  Today is one of those 'whiles.'

This week has consisted of work, rain, boot camp, rain, make dinner, rain, eat dinner, shower, go to bed, rain some more.

I am sick of work.

I am sick of rain.

I am sick of exercising.

Perhaps due to the fact that I actually went to boot camp 2 days in a row this week.

Mr. Vittles was surprised, to put it mildly.

"Boot camp again?" he asked.  "Didn't you just go yesterday?"

"Yes," I said, "but it's either tonight or tomorrow morning, because there are no Friday night classes.  And I want to do my own thing Saturday and not worry about class."

"Ok..." he conceded.

Then, "Are you sure you're not having an affair?"

Joking of course.

I think.

(I would not cheat on my husband... but if I did, let's hope it would be a lot more fun than exercising until I'm sick to my stomach.)

Now there are a few different trainers that run the classes, but the one that runs Thursdays' is BRUTAL.

With a capital B.  For Butt-Kicking

His name is Darrell & he is short, spunky, built beyond belief, and gives the Energizer bunny a run for its money.

Ironically, he is also the inventor of the Fat Darrell sandwich.

??

Go figure.

Now with that fact in mind - when we were leaving class today, he praised us for our hard work but warned us "Don't eat too much ice cream on the way home."

Since he didn't reference the amount of ice cream I can eat AT home, I guess that means unlimited?



Sweet.  Good thing I made this fabulous ice cream on Sunday :)

Chocolate & Kahlua Coconut Milk Ice Cream

  • 2 C. coconut milk (full fat is best, but I used the kind from the refrigerated aisle)
  • 1/2 C. whole coffee beans
  • 1 C. heavy cream
  • 3 T. agave nectar (use more if you like it sweeter)
  • 1/4 C. Dutch-processed cocoa powder
  • 3 T. Kahlua liqueur

Heat coconut milk in medium saucepan over medium heat, and bring to a simmer.  Add coffee beans and stir - remove from heat and let steep 30 minutes.

Strain mixture into a bowl, and discard coffee beans.  Add heavy cream, agave, cocoa powder and Kahlua to the coconut coffee- whisk until smooth.

Pour mixture through fine-mesh sieve (gets out any cocoa powder lumps) into the frozen container of an ice cream maker.  Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.  Either serve directly from container (will be soft) or allow to ripen in freezer in a freezer-safe container.  Makes about 1 quart.

*For those of you that were looking for a non-dairy ice cream - ha, I tricked you!  No no, just kidding - you can replace the 1 C. heavy cream with another cup of coconut milk.  It will likely get harder in the freezer than the one with cream, so just leave it out on the counter for a few minutes.

Original Recipe

14 comments:

  1. This sounds so delicious! I LOVE chocolate and kahlua together. When I get an ice cream maker, this will be the first thing I'll make in it!

    ps Glad you survived your boot camp class!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to eat 5 gallons of this right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm feeling exactly how you are right at this very minute. I'll think about ice-cream now. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of ice cream after a work out. Need to get some protein into the diet :) I am seeing more and more coconut milk recipes. I need to get my hands on some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post. You are too cute. I like your interpretation of your instructor's warning. I am impressed by you and sticking to the commitment of attending the classes. Good example. This ice cream sounds so delicious. Yummy! Hope your weekend brings you some happiness and renewed zest for life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this post! You have such a great sense of humor! Your ice cream looks amazing! I have been seeing all sorts of amazing ice creams lately, just need to get that maker! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's TOTALLY something in the air! I'm convinced that this week was just funky. Something must be going on planetarily or something! :D. Thank goodness for boozy ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks good but I can't use coconut milk.

    could I use homogenized or cream?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Name, using cream should not be a problem ... if you want to use milk, I'd suggest a mixture of whole milk and cream. Skim or lowfat milk is too watery, it will likely get hard & ice-like in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome combination! I love Kahlua and I am sure it tastes fabulous with the coconut milk. And yes, I get tired of life too sometimes :) Impressed that you did not one, but two days of boot camp! Great going! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I would run an extra mile for this! Sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I always get tired of life (and not at all in a creepy way) but the day to day brings you down so quickly and likes to dog pile. I then fill myself with motivation for other things and usually get annoyed at everything I dont accomplish.
    Ice cream theough (with kahlua) no one can get tired of that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kahlua ice cream sounds like a yummy treat to me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh boy, do you ever read a recipe and just KNOW you're in trouble? You've used 4 items off my "Could ingest these in some form at any given time of the day or night" list in one recipe :-)

    Last year, I signed up for an outdoor, four-week long "Bootcamp for Women". Five thirty in the morning, five days a week for an hour, come rain or shine was enough to make even Gandhi feel "life-tired"! Sure, I was about as fit as Rocky by the end of it, but I also didn't want to see exercise for another three months after that.

    Moderation is my new medium...in exercise anyway. With this ice-cream? Not possible!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...