Sunday, May 30, 2010

Coconut Strawberry Banana Smoothie


So, it's Memorial Day Weekend and, at least where I live, that can only mean one thing...

...the official start of summer.

Which is something I used to get really excited for.  Warm weather, lots of time at the beach and in the sun, barbecues and corn on the cob, getting crazy with your friends, etc etc.

Now... not so much.

While I do still like all these things, (although at this point, 'getting crazy' means making it past 11PM and maybe throwing in a glass of wine) summer has become somewhat of a hassle.

For one, it seems like there's always a party or barbecue or wedding or some other type of shindig to go to.  Which is fun in the beginning, but usually gets pretty old by August.

Also, its awfully hot.  I can't spend all day in the sun anymore without getting cranky.  Plus within the past few years, I discovered this thing called sunscreen - which is great for preventing skin cancer, but very unhelpful when you are trying to get a tan.

I guess that means it's working.

Worst of all, there are tons of tourists & day-trippers around, which also means lots & lots of TRAFFIC.

(In case you don't know, I live a couple miles from the beach at the Jersey Shore - except, unlike good old Snookie and JWowwwwww, I acually grew up here.) 

After so many years of living at the beach (I went to college in a touristy area of Florida as well), I guess maybe all the hubbub is starting to get to me?  I mean, it's only Day 2 and I'm already complaining!  

I know, I know.  Most people would kill to live a couple miles from the beach. 

Maybe I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed or something today.

But what did make me feel better was this smoothie that I made for breakfast.

All the best parts of summer without the any of the hassle :)

Coconut Strawberry Banana Smoothie
  • 1/2 C. coconut milk (unsweetened)
  • 1/2 C. regular milk (skim, lowfat, whole- whatever you have is fine)
  • 5 large strawberries, hulled*
  • 1/2 banana
  • 2-3 T. sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until liquefied.  Makes one smoothie.

*Tip: You can use frozen strawberries instead, if you like your smoothies to be icy.

Original Recipe

2 comments:

  1. Is this coconut milk in a can or a carton?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina, for this recipe you can use either one. Personally I think the canned variety gives more of a coconutty flavor, but it is also more fattening! Either way, hope you enjoy :)

      Delete

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...